With celebration, comes cake! Lately, however, my family has been requesting these chocolate hazelnut cupcakes for birthdays and other special occasions rather than our go-to ice cream cake we pick up at the store. They really are a treat – rich chocolate cake accompanied by chocolate hazelnut buttercream, a drizzle of chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, and to top it all off, a sprinkle of toasted hazelnuts. This is a truly decadent combination that my family goes nuts over. You can whip up your own cake batter, but for these ones I like to use extra-moist dark chocolate cake mix.
Makes 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
dark chocolate cake mix (or devil’s food) + eggs, oil, and water according to your box.
For the chocolate hazelnut buttercream:
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
1 stick of butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons heavy cream
pinch of salt
caramel & chocolate sauce for drizzling
chopped hazelnuts for topping
1. Prepare cupcakes according to box. Set aside and let cool completely.
Chocolate Hazelnut Buttercream:
1. Beat butter and chocolate hazelnut spread with an electric mixer until completely combined, about 2 minutes.
2. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add powdered sugar one cup at a time.
3. Add vanilla and a pinch of salt until incorporated. Scrape bowl if needed.
4. Add heavy cream and beat on high speed for 5 minutes.
Toast a couple handfuls of hazelnuts over medium heat, just until you start to smell them toasting. Be careful not to burn! Set aside. Once cupcakes are completely cooled, use a piping bag fitted with a large star tip to frost cupcakes, starting in the middle and swirling up. Use a spoon to drizzle chocolate and caramel sauces over the cupcakes. Top with toasted hazelnuts and enjoy!