Flecks of colorful sprinkles throughout classic vanilla cake, topped with a not-to-sweet whipped vanilla cream cheese frosting. Yum.
I love this recipe because it definitely reminds you of the funfetti cake your mom used to make from the box. (Who didn’t love that?) This recreates that childhood classic without being too sickeningly sweet.
You can use whatever sprinkles you like, just as long as they are sprinkles – not nonpareils which tend to bleed.
Makes 24 minis
1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg white
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 teaspoons + 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons heavy cream
8 oz. cream cheese
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup sprinkles + more for topping
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt with a whisk. Set aside.
- Beat 1/2 cup of the butter in an electric mixer until creamy. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. (At least 2 minutes)
- Add egg + egg white. Beat on medium speed until completely combined. Scape sides of bowl with a rubber spatula, and mix again until completely combined.
- Add 4 teaspoons vanilla extract and vegetable oil and mix until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Turn off mixer and add 1/3 of the flour mixture. Beat on low speed, then add 1/3 of the milk. Repeat until all of the flour mixture/milk is combined, being very careful not to over-mix.
- Add sprinkles. Use rubber spatula to gently fold them in.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, 18-20 minutes.
Whipped Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat the other 1/2 cup of butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until creamy.
- With mixer on low speed, add powdered sugar one cup at a time until stiff. This recipe calls for 3 cups, but you may need more depending on how stiff you like it.
- Add the rest of the vanilla and mix until incorporated. Scrape bowl if needed.
- Add heavy cream and beat on high speed, for at least 5 minutes.